Saturday, April 9, 2011

Bunny Hop Pillow

Saturday, April 9, 2011


If you clicked over when I showed you I was guest posting at The Idea Room, you will have already seen this, but in case you didn't (I know we're all busy, right?) Here is my latest pillow:

The Bunny Hop Pillow tutorial


Okay, I have to admit to being a teensy bit thrilled with how the color combination turned out! Sometimes I get lucky. :)

So, on to the tutorial part. This pillow uses a reverse applique technique as well as some strip work piecing (just a bit). It's fancy enough that it looks really complicated, but in reality it's not very hard. The measurements I am giving are for a 17" X 17" pillow form, if yours is a different size, you will need to adjust accordingly.

You will need to cut five strips of the white fabric (mine was a bottom weight fabric- no idea what that means- it was a remnant I found at Joann's, but it has a good weight to it, almost as thick as canvas but not so stiff.). The first strip will be 6" X 18" (this is where the bunnies will go), then you will need 2 strips 1 1/2" X 18" (these are the strips between the bunnies and the patchwork strip) and then 2 more strips cut at 5" X 18" (the top and bottom pieces). Next you will need your accent fabric. Cut one piece of each color in a rectangle approx. 4" X 5" (or generously larger than your bunny shape). All seam allowances will be 1/4" unless stated otherwise.


The second step after cutting is preparing the bunny strip. I took my bunny shape (I traced a cookie cutter for my template- click here if you would like a copy) and traced and cut it out 4 times onto paper to make templates. (trace once, cut four layers at the same time) Then I arranged them on the right side of my center strip. I am not a measure exactly kind of person- so I just eyeballed the placement. You might want to be more precise. :) Pin the templates in place and *lightly* trace with a pencil.




Pin your accent fabric behind the first bunny. (this is a mock up of this step- ignore the size of the white fabric. ;) )


Using the traced line as a template sew around the shape 1/4" away from the line (sew to the outside of the traced line. In this photo I have my 1/4" foot on my machine to help with this step, but it's not necessary.)
Using a pair of sharp scissors cut through the top layer (be careful on this step) just on the outside of the traced line. It is more important to cut accurately than it is to sew accurately around the bunnies.

Repeat this step for the remaining bunnies.

Now it is time to make the patchwork strip. Cut strips of your accent fabrics at varying widths. Mine ranged from 1" to 2 1/2" by about 4" long. Sew the strips together along the long sides, with right sides together, varying the placement of the colors, until you have a strip at least 18" long. Press all the seams to one side. Trim one long edge so it's even, then cut 2 strips 1 1/2" wide by 18" long.

Now we're ready to assemble the pillow front. Take your small white strips and sew them to the top and bottom of the bunny panel. Press the seam allowance away from the bunny panel. Pin and sew the patchwork strips to the small white strips. Press seam allowance toward the small white strip. Finally, sew the larger white strips to the patchwork strips. Press seam allowance toward the white strip. Your pillow front is complete!

Finish the pillow any way you prefer and enjoy!

I hope you enjoy this little splash of Easter fun!

xoxo,

Amy

24 comments:

Connie the crafterbug said...

I love it! it is so happy and cute. I just love your blog!
Connie

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain said...

That's really cute. I love all the bright colors!

Richmond Thrifter said...

SO CUTE! I really need to get a tutorial from my mother on my sewing machine! Im missing out on so many fun projects! Love this!

Madigan at madiganmade said...

This is such a fun pillow! Using a cookie cutter for a template was a great idea. Too cute.

Sybilline said...

Such a cute pillow!

Karenkay said...

I love your pillow, and will be making these for friends. Thank you so much for the tutorial!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Love it!! Those bunnies are just too stinkin' cute!

Laura @ Our House Of Joyful Noise said...

Well, this bunny pillow totally inspires me to learn to sew, once and for all! I LOVE it!! The color combination is just awesome too.

Melanie said...

LOVE this! I'd love for you to come link this up at my Tuesday Time Out Linky Party! The link is below!
Smiles,
Melanie
Reasons To Skip The Housework
Tuesday Time Out Link Up Party

Jaclyn said...

This is really Cute! I just love the color combination! Its great!


www.simplycadence.blogspot.com

Holly said...

Very cute and colorful! I've never seen the reverse applique...thanks for sharing your technique!
Visiting from CSI.

Caroline said...

Visiting from CSI. I love this - your colour choices are fantastic!

Jasey said...

Love it! Way too cute! I love how you appliquéd from the back!

Happy Day,
Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

emmahaynes@live.co.uk said...

I love this! My children would adore those bunnies :) I found your blog through "Get your craft on" and will definitely be following for more tutorials!

Steph Jacobson said...

So cute--I love the bright colors!

southernscraps said...

This is adorable. I love the colors!

Katie @ EyeSpyDIY said...

That is so cute and clever! The bright colors are great!

Oxford Impressions said...

So colorful and cute. Right up my alley! I love rabbits and great fabrics. Good combination!!

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

So not only do we share a name, we also love the same color palette! Amy, this is phenomenal! I shared it in my Saturday Seven lineup this week. :)

http://www.positivelysplendid.com/2011/04/saturday-seven-no-7.html

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

miss ameroonie it made my day to see you sweet bunny pillow! Missing you!

kisses
heather

LOTCP said...

Found you through Tip Junkie- this is too stinkin' cute!

Katie said...

OMG! I can't get over how cute this pillow is! Please link it up to SewWoodsy.blogspot.com!

Rachel Hauser said...

Yes, great color combo. Thanks for joining in on the Pillow Party!

Jackie Forster said...

This is so cute thanks for sharing I have featured it on my blog with a link back here :)
http://xkawaiicutiex.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/everything-easter.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...